Posted in Career Best Practices
Are you positioning yourself for a bright future – or hammering nails into a "career coffin" with each passing work day?
Without a well-defined career path, it's tough to know.
Technology and entire industries are evolving more rapidly than ever. New jobs and career fields are continually emerging – often, making others obsolete.
How can you tell if you're headed in the right direction, positioning yourself for a fulfilling career with raises, promotions and a secure future? Below are ten questions you should ask yourself to make sure you're on a path of success.
Am I on the right career path? 10 questions to ask:
- When I get out of bed in the morning, am I excited to go to work – or dreading it?
- Does my current job allow me to do what I'm naturally good at?
- At the end of the work day, do I feel like I've accomplished something valuable and meaningful – or just spent another day spinning my wheels?
- Do I have a clear understanding of what my next job (i.e., a promotion) looks like, and do I know how I'm going to get there?
- How robust is the industry I work in? Is it expanding or evolving in a positive way?
- When work gets challenging, do I feel defeated or excited?
- Does my job allow me to develop new, transferable job skills? Does it appropriately challenge me and push me outside my comfort zone?
- Do I eventually want to be doing the work my boss – and their boss – does?
- Am I just working for a paycheck – or does my work, in and of itself, bring me fulfillment?
- Do leaders in my organization or my field inspire me?
Need a little help mapping your career path?
Start by reading these earlier posts:
Then, partner with a PrideStaff recruiter. Our experts will take the time to understand where you are and where you want to be – and then help you chart a clear course for success. Contact your local PrideStaff office or search jobs today.