Posted in Career Best Practices
Looking to start or switch your career?
2019 may be your year!
The US job market is hot – and that momentum is likely to continue through the early part of 2019. With the right skills and training, it's an ideal time to make a change.
Where is the most growth potential?
- Technology. Unsurprisingly, jobs related to software and artificial intelligence (AI) are growing rapidly. AI and machine learning are infiltrating every industry, driving tremendous demand for professionals with related skills.
- Basic business functions and services. While tech-related careers are on the rise, nothing can replace the need for the human touch in business. As a result, communications and service professionals will continue to be in high demand.
- Healthcare. New medical advances and an aging population will increase the need for qualified professionals with specialized skills.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, these 10 occupations have the highest percent change of employment between 2016 and 2026:
Fastest Growing Occupations (2016 to 2026)
- Solar photovoltaic installers: 105% growth rate | $39,490 median annual salary
- Wind turbine service technicians: 96% growth rate | $53,880 median annual salary
- Home health aides 47% growth rate | $23,210 median annual salary
- Personal care aides 39% growth rate | $23,100 median annual salary
- Physician assistants 37% growth rate | $104,860 median annual salary
- Nurse practitioners 36% growth rate | $103,880 median annual salary
- Statisticians 34% growth rate | $84,060 median annual salary
- Physical therapist assistants 31% growth rate | $57,430 median annual salary
- Software developers (applications) 31% growth rate | $101,790 median annual salary
- Mathematicians 30% growth rate | $103,010 median annual salary
If you're looking to make a career change immediately, LinkedIn's latest Emerging Jobs Report lists the following five occupations poised to break out in 2019:
Top 5 Break Out Jobs in 2019
Blockchain Developer (33x growth)
- Top Skills: Solidity, Blockchain, Ethereum, Cryptocurrency, Node.js
- Cities Where Demand is High: San Francisco, New York City, Atlanta
Machine Learning Engineer (12x growth)
- Top Skills: Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Tensorflow, Apache Spark, Natural Language Processing
- Cities Where Demand is High: San Francisco, Denver, Austin
Application Sales Executive (8x growth)
- Top Skills: Software as a Service, Cloud Applications, Human Capital Management, Enterprise Resource Planning, Solution Selling
- Cities Where Demand is High: Boston, Austin, Minneapolis-St. Paul
Machine Learning Specialist (6x growth)
- Top Skills: Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Tensorflow, Python, Artificial Intelligence
- Cities Where Demand is High: San Francisco, New York City, Madison
Professional Medical Representative (6x growth)
- Top Skills: Pharmaceutical Sales, Sales Effectiveness, Product Launches, Medical Devices, Gastroenterology
- Cities Where Demand is High: Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas/Fort Worth
Want to work in a high-demand, high-growth field?
Connect with opportunities through PrideStaff. With offices nationwide, we offer a wide range of temporary, temp-to-hire and direct opportunities in high-growth industries and high-demand fields. Contact the PrideStaff office in your area to find out more about great jobs.