Posted in Career Best Practices
The clock has struck midnight. The decorations have been stowed. Another holiday season has come to an end.
And if you're like many Americans, you've probably done a little soul-searching and set goals for what you want to achieve in 2019.
Now you just need a little motivation.
While it can be easy to set personal or professional goals for yourself, it can prove much harder to stay on track and actually reach them. So today, our national employment agency shares simple tips to get – and stay – motivated this year, and achieve whatever you resolve to do:
Tips for Achieving Goals
- Write your goal down. Display it in a place where you'll see it frequently, especially when your resolve falters.
- Break a large goal into several smaller ones. Achieving a series of smaller goals will help keep you inspired to attain the ultimate one. Celebrate each little success along the way!
- Make one change at a time. Lasting changes take time. Rather than attempting to dramatically alter your behavior all at once, start with one important modification and make it your priority. Gradually change your habits to make those improvements stick.
- Measure your progress. How will you know if you've achieved a goal unless you track your progress along the way? Measuring what you do – whether it's in minutes exercised, professional networking connections made, or job applications submitted – will help you hold yourself accountable until you succeed.
- Expect setbacks. The path to reaching a goal is rarely a straight line; for every two steps you take forward, expect to take one back. Don't get down on yourself if you make a mistake or temporarily lose your motivation. Forgive yourself, renew your commitment and move forward.
- Leverage technology. No matter what you want to achieve, there's probably an app for it! Search online for a tool to help you set and reach your goal.
Tips for Achieving Career Goals
- Appoint yourself the CEO of You, Inc. Just like smart business owners build strategic plans for the year, you should take the bull by the horns in planning your own success. In this earlier post, we explain why and how you should become the CEO of your career – and share tips for building a plan to get from where you are now to where you want to be in 2019.
- Update your resume. Whether you're aiming to land your first job, find a better job or just get back to work in 2019, the tips we share in this post will help you get your resume in fighting shape for the New Year.
- Reinvent yourself professionally. January is a great time to change your work situation. This post contains practical ideas to set yourself up for success by adopting the right mindset and building the right habits.
Ready to take charge of your career in 2019?
PrideStaff can help make this the "Year of You." Our expert recruiters can help you assess your skills, interests and goals, and then present job opportunities that match your needs – and offer real growth potential. Search jobs or apply with your local PrideStaff office.