Date Posted: May 26, 2017
Job Type: Direct Hire
Job ID: 261638
Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager
The position will be responsible and accountable to develop the Quality Assurance Programs, manage day to day operational quality & food safety across the product portfolio manufactured. The role requires experience in plant Quality Assurance management in Industrial/retail ingredients & products with expertise in Quality systems such as BRC/SQF, HACCP, Technical expertise in physical, Chemical & Microbiological analysis, lead a team of supervisors and technicians to operate the laboratories through the year. The role requires extensive exposure to data analysis, setting up processes for decision making on food safety & quality of products.
- Ensure full compliance of all products from the plant with all government food safety regulations, and maintain highest level of food safety including preventive controls & FSMA implementation.
- Responsible for implementation of GMP, HACCP, and GFSI (BRC) SOPs in the facility in coordination with the operations team.
- Interact effectively with FDA and other regulatory personnel, food safety auditors, and customers to maintain positive & responsive relationships and assure rapid corrective actions through dynamic leadership and timely documentation.
- Expertise in developing & writing SOPs with attention to detail and train quality & operations team on implementation of the SOPs.
- Develop, schedule, and direct GMP, Food Safety, and Quality Management System audits and monitor corrective actions to deficient findings for completion and effectiveness, providing gap closure assistance to the manufacturing facilities.
- Responsible and accountable for disposition of product based on Quality Inspection results and data management of the same in the SAP system.
- Develop and analyze data from SAP and other databases to enable decision making on operational quality issues in industrial and retail manufacturing operations.
- Lead HACCP and Food Safety team for product designs, manufacturing processes, Food Safety plans, environmental microbiological monitoring and control programs, finished product microbiological testing programs, allergen program, and sanitation programs.
- Validate and assure compliance with established food safety and quality objectives through daily monitoring programs, team supervision, and on-going verification of internal and external laboratory or industry benchmarking.
- Establish new and improved quality/safety programs, Policies & SOPs to ensure that established standards of quality are consistently achieved, measured, documented and maintained. Provide food safety risk assessment information, new technology information, and risk management strategies.
- Proactively identify potential and emerging food safety issues and develop strategies to effectively investigate and respond.
- Conduct training programs across QA, Operations & Supply Chain teams with emphasis on continuous improvement, to enable preventive controls and understanding of cost of quality & cost of non-conformance.
- Support the Central QA and Food Safety team in undertaking Root Cause & Corrective actions from customer complaints and implement the corrective actions with the plant operations team.
- Host and successfully, complete QA audits from customers and BRC audit team during the tomato processing season.
- Undertake Supplier Quality Audits and ensure ingredients and packaging material suppliers are compliant as per the requirement of the BRC system and QA systems.
- Develop processes to develop, report & track quality notifications which could have financial impact for the business.
- Responsible for maintaining the Organic, Kosher, Halal certifications for products manufactured by the plant is as per the requirement of the customers & central QA team.
- Provide data, resources & participate in continuous improvement initiatives as applicable
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Technology/Engineering/Food Chemistry/Food Microbiology.
- Minimum 10 years’ QA leadership experience in multiple types of food processing, preferably in processing tomato or vegetable industry.
- Expert level technical knowledge and experience in Food chemistry& Microbiology, Food safety, more specifically in aseptically packaged products.
- Skill to be able to understand process flows, material balance, sampling & analytical and microbiological methods used in aseptic food processing industry.
- Skills to understand formulated high acid food products, thermal processing requirements, FDA process filings and risk assessments on thermal process deviations.
- Ability to lead and develop a team of supervisors in both technical capability and effective communication.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively work with all managerial levels, customers, regulatory, and other professional contacts.
- Strong analytical problem solving skills with and expertise quality systems and continuous improvement programs.
- Strong communication skills and ability to build and conduct training programs to the Quality & operations team.
- Strong team building skills to be able to operate with a diverse group of individuals.
- HACCP & Better Process Control school certified and experienced.
- Formal audit training or equivalent certification or experience.