Posted in Career Best Practices
Graduation is a cause for great celebration. You've worked hard to earn your degree, and when you graduate you'll be ready to take the world by storm.
But once you've moved the tassel on your mortar board, the celebration will likely be short-lived. It'll soon be time to put away that cap and gown – and go get a job.
Fortunately, prospects are a bit brighter for this year's graduates. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers' Job Outlook 2015 report, employers plan to hire 8.3% more new college graduates from the Class of 2015 for their U.S. operations than they did from the Class of 2014.
That's great news, but it's of little consolation if you don't have a full-time position lined up for yourself upon graduation!
Staffing services like PrideStaff can help. In fact, research from the American Staffing Association (ASA) shows that, when Americans want permanent jobs, temporary and contract assignments provide the bridge they need. According to the ASA survey:
Temporary and contract work is an effective bridge to permanent employment.
- 99% of staffing employees who want permanent jobs achieve their objective.
Bridging to permanent jobs is the biggest reason for choosing temporary or contract work.
- 49% cite "It's a way to get a permanent job" as their top reason for choosing temporary or contract work.
Interested? Keep reading. Here are just a few of the ways PrideStaff can help you get that first job after graduation:
- Gain valuable experience. Working as a temporary or contract employee helps you build your skills and rapidly broaden your knowledge base. Each new assignment presents the opportunity to gain experience, make yourself more marketable, and become qualified for a broader range of positions. Just make sure that you choose assignments that challenge you and offer room for growth.
- Supplement your own search. As a temporary employee, you decide when, where and how much you work. This allows you to build enough flexibility into your schedule to conduct your job search, schedule informational interviews, network and more.
- Access unadvertised opportunities. When working with a staffing agency, many employers do not advertise on their own. As a result, many positions are available exclusively through national employment agencies like PrideStaff.
- Build your software skills. PrideStaff offers free software training to candidates on several computer software systems, including Microsoft Office. Improving your software proficiency can further increase your marketability as a job candidate. When you register with PrideStaff, speak with your recruiter directly for more details on how to get started.
If you're new to the workforce, PrideStaff can provide both job opportunities and valuable career guidance to get you started on the right path. It's our goal to make sure that you don't just search, but succeed. Contact the PrideStaff office in your area to find out more about great local job opportunities.